Tuesday, August 28, 2012

                                               
                                              A Meeting, 1884” by Maria Bashkirtseff
 

I like this choice of image for the Boy Writer's Club pre-assessment activity.  It lives up to the challenge posed by the diversity of ages and stages represented in the group and provides us with one unified "control" image from which to compare pre and post assessment responses. 

According to Abigail Housen's article Art Viewing and Aesthetic Development: Designing for the Viewer, "Stage II viewers’ central questions concern the way the image looks and how it was made; questions about technique and skill mix with ones about artistic choice and values".  In light of this assertion, I think it's notable that this image is more realistically rendered and objective, therefore, I predict these students (many of them stage II) will be less fixated on the ‘quality’ or appearance of the work, as they might be with a more abstracted piece, and more curious about what is going on, what are the boys talking about, what are they planning to do, what is in the tallest boy’s hand, etc.  Furthermore, I think the imagery is relatable given that the BWC is a group of multi-aged boys, as are the figures represented.  There is clearly a story going on here, leaving the viewer with much to speculate about events leading up to this moment and what may be about to happen.  Their imaginations could really run wild with this, generating lots of stories about the nature of this rendezvous.  I wonder if any of the boys will take notice of the figure on the far right of the image in the background, who appears to be a girl.  Perhaps there is some kind of exclusivity to this meeting, if not a little old-fashioned playground gender warfare.  Her back is turned to the viewer and given her position in the frame, it is possible that the girls are staging a meeting of their own.

Some of the students who may be brushing up against a stage III level of inquiry and interpretation may take note of the time period, based on the kinds of clothes the figures are wearing and want to know more about the historical context of this artist and this piece.

Overall, I think there will be no shortage of imaginative speculation.  I look forward to the experience!



1 comment:

  1. Despite prior VTS experience for our returning BWC members, most will be Stage 1 viewers with a few nearing Stage 2 as they begin to distance themselves from the work. Still, their thinking and reasoning will astonish you (making neutrality quite a challange many times!They will help you get very good at concealing your amazement at their answers!)

    ReplyDelete