Monday, October 8, 2012

Bog Topic for Week #5

I realize I have my posts a little out of order, but because we got off to a late start with the BWC, I felt I needed a little more time to observe and get to know the students before responding to week 5's assignment.  I apologize for any confusion.

There is one student in particular who participates actively in VTS discussions, but displays hesitancy, frustration, and ultimately disengagement when it comes to the writing and art making activities that follow.  I believe this student may be succumbing to a pattern of being behind his classmates (perhaps even more so in the regular classroom setting) and therefor he is somewhat disadvantaged by doubts before he even begins.  VTS, however, levels the playing field and his contributions are seen as just as valuable as any other.  I see him confidently raising his hand and contributing observations in every discussion and I'm hoping to see that confidence, which is being built through VTS, carry over into the other activities.

I plan to give this student more one on one attention during the art making activities so that he doesn't fall behind the other students and get frustrated.  I'm hoping that if he has a positive experience in the BWC from start to finish, he will be able to overcome some of his hesitancy, which I think is a bigger obstacle for him than any actual lack of ability.

2 comments:

  1. I think you have read this student very well! Perceived self-efficacy and how VTS impacts this has become a focus of my research. He's a great choice for you Portrait of Possibility. It will be very interesting to see if, by mid year, he is beginning to overcome this lack of self-confidence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad your student is confident during VTS discussions. It's great that he realizes everyone is equal when sharing ideas. I think that is a great idea to spend just a little more time with him during the activities. I agree that making sure he has a great experience from start to finish, that he will start recognizing that some school activities and classes can be worth his while.

    ReplyDelete